Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Jerks

It was nice having a three day week-end. Hope you enjoyed yours. I would have enjoyed mine more, except I'm suffering from a cold. Nothing major, really, it's pretty minor. It mostly made it hard for me to sleep. The bad part of a cold like this one is that you need to sleep in order for your immune system to fight off the cold, but the cold symptoms keep you awake at night. I think I'm going to invest in some Nyquil this afternoon. Over the week-end, sleep wasn't really that big of a deal, because I didn't have to get up in the morning. Now that I'm back at work, I definitely need to be getting up in the morning, so I need to sleep like lumber. Still, it was a good week-end. Even with the cold, I got a lot done.This week may be a little strained. They caught somebody last week playing games on his computer when he was supposed to be working. From what I understand, he was the fourth one in less than three weeks. Now, no one is allowed to go on the internet, except during lunch. I'm not sure how long this will last. Usually knee-jerk reactions are good for about three weeks. Usually nobody actually tells us that the moratorium has been lifted, but it takes about that long before people start doing what they were doing before, and the powers that be have either forgotten, or decide that it's not worth pushing it. I'm not sure if it has occurred to anybody that you don't need the internet to waste time (but it sure helps!).Of course, this is the same organization that, a few years ago, decided that the workers needed more mobility, and had the IT department acquire laptops for everyone, and replaced the desktops. Do you understand what I'm saying? They took away everyone's desktop computer, and replaced them with laptops. Then, less than a week later, started having concerns about laptops getting stolen, so, they came in and cable-locked the laptops to the desks. So, they got us laptops for better mobility, but then locked them to the desks, so that we couldn't go anywhere with them. Brilliant people--always thinking ahead.

No comments: