Friday, March 14, 2008

My Apologies

I have to apologize; today has been a very busy day, and it isn't over yet. I still have much to do today, but I had a few minutes. I know that I cannot write the sort of post that I would normally put here on a normal day, but I know that I should post something. Unfortunately, my brain is not working well, and I honestly cannot think of anything to say, other than I'm sorry. I have a pretty good idea that no one wants to read that, though.
It does occur to me that we are a people that doesn't apologize much, or take the blame much. We would much rather point the finger at someone or something else. It isn't my fault! He/she/my dog is to blame (or society's to blame--but I think Monty Python did a good job of laying that excuse to rest in it's skit about the bishop murders). I think that we have a basic fear that if we admit to a wrong, or even admit that we don't know something that it seems we should know, that people will lose respect for us; it makes us look weak. Frequently, exactly the opposite is true: When we admit to making a mistake, or admit what we don't know, people often respect the honesty that comes from that. I can remember a few times where one celebrity or another got caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing, and then got on national television and admitted that it wasn't a smart thing to do, and most people were impressed. There were a few people who wanted to know if he really repented, before they were willing to consider what he said ("Why didn't he apologize?" what he did didn't have anything to do with you, why should he apologize to you?), but, you know, true repentance is between the individual and God anyway (well, okay, if the individual has committed an act against another person, then that person, too).
Anyway, my time is up. I have to go now. I will post again on Monday, I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter, I don;t read your "Rmblings" every day, but I try to catch up almost always weekly. This blog, "My Apologies" reminded me of recent requests, no demands, that we in the South should apologize to our colored brothern because almost 150 years ago, some blacks were kept as slaves by some whites. Now who knows how many of our forefathers were slave owners and how many were slaves? With a Junior Achievement Program, I worked with a very fine black man and in one of our converstion he said the his family came to the US from one of the islands in the Caribbean long after the War between the States.

I am sure that some where in my family history someone had slaves, but I do not know this for sure and if it is so, who they were. What I am saying, just what good is it for me to apologize to the blacks for the possibility some of their relatives might have been slaves?

Love Dad