Monday, March 23, 2009

Dreams And Losing Things

It has been some time since I lasted posted. My apologies to whomsoever may have missed me.

Last night I had an interesting dream: I dreamed that my pastor shared with me a scripture passage and showed me a significance that I had never attached to it before. In the dream, I became very excited about it, partially wondering why I had never seen that before, and partially thinking, “I know what my next blog posting will be about!” I woke up, trying to remember what passage it was, and went and looked it up, only to find that the Bible in my dream was quite different than the Bible by my bed…

I must admit, I was a little disappointed: I thought God was using my dream to show me something. Maybe He was just using my dream to push me back to writing again, but, to be honest, I think that I had been giving a lot of thought to my blog lately (and I have been feeling guilty about not posting), and that was what caused the dream.

For what it’s worth, the passage in the dream was that Jesus met a man, and told that man that he was right with God. Jesus stooped, and wrote the man’s name on the ground. Then He told the man to be sure to stay ready, because it would be easy to, and Jesus stooped down again, and used his thumb to smudge the man’s name.

There is, of course, no such passage in the Bible. In Psalms, there is a passage that talks about blotting out names from the Book of Life, though. Some would say that we are under a new covenant; we don’t have to worry about that any more. I would suggest that, new covenant or not, God is still God, and, although He has allowed us a closer relationship with Him than He did those of the Old Testament, there are many aspects of the relationship that have not changed. He still expects us to remain faithful to Him. Some might also argue that the people described in Psalms don’t sound like they were ever actually right with God, anyway. I have to agree; the description given makes it sound like these people were never any good. I have to wonder, though, if that’s the case, why were their names ever written in the Book of Life, then?

In any case, in the parable of the sower, Jesus said that the seeds that fell on the rock were those that receive the Word with joy, and for a while believe, but in time of temptation fall away.

Hmmm. When I sat down to write this, I thought I was writing about dreams…

No comments: