Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Good Things

Ever since I’ve been a Christian, I’ve heard people debate over whether something is essential to salvation, or just a good thing to do. To some extent, it seems like a worse than useless discussion, because if I tell you that something is just a good thing to do, when it is really essential, then I will be held responsible for that in judgment. On the other hand, if I tell you something is essential, and I’m wrong, but you decide that you just can’t handle that, then, once again, I have to answer for that.

Having said that, though, let me point out that there are some that have incorporated snake-handling into their worship services, citing Mark 16:18. I agree that the Scripture says that one of the signs that will follow the believers is that they shall take up serpents. I don’t see anything that suggests that it’s essential to salvation I’m not going to criticize it: If handling snakes makes you feel closer to God, then I’m not going to try to stop you. I would encourage you to be as judicious as you can be in your snake-handling, because I don’t want you to get hurt, but, it’s up to you. In the Book of Acts, Paul was once bitten by a snake, and suffered no harm, but, other than that, I don’t see any mention of anyone in the early church practicing snake-handling, so I’m going to keep my worship to the less dangerous forms of worship.

Some believe that speaking in tongues is essential to salvation, citing Mark 16:17 (the verse right before the one cited above, in fact, the same sentence from Jesus’ mouth). Again, this is a sign that will follow the believers, but not necessarily every believer. Apostle Paul admonished the Corinthians that they put entirely too much emphasis on speaking in tongues, and that, although it certainly has its place, speaking in tongues edifies no one but the speaker (unless of course, there are unbelievers who hear and understand, but that’s not how speaking in tongues usually works). Now, there are some who believe that tongues was just for the early church. I am not in that camp. I don’t believe that God has removed any gifts from the church. The usual Scripture used is in 1 Corinthians 13:8-10; it says that we know in part, and we prophesy in part, but when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. The justification is that the Bible is the perfect Word of God, and once it was compiled, there was no longer any need for tongues. I don’t really follow that logic; it seems to me that when Paul said that when that which is perfect is come, he was referring to the Second Coming. When I tell tongue-naysayers this, though, they usually ask me why I don’t believe that the Bible is perfect. I respond by asking them why they don’t think Jesus is perfect… I do think that tongues is much more rare now than it was in the early church, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the church has drifted from where it was than anything else.

Some people practice foot-washing. Jesus did tell His disciples that they should wash one another’s feet. I don’t have anything against foot-washing, but I don’t put the kind of emphasis on it that I would expect in a society where people walk around all the time in sandals in the desert… Don’t misunderstand me, walking around all day in a suburban environment, wearing comfortable shoes and socks, my feet need washing occasionally, too, but I’m guessing not like the people living in Israel in Jesus’ time. Remember that Jesus had a difference of opinion with that one Pharisee that invited Jesus to dinner, but didn’t wash His feet? That makes it pretty apparent that it was considered common courtesy to wash one’s guest’s feet, or, at the very least, to have one’s servants do it. Jesus wanted the disciples to learn to be each others’ servants, and He wants us to bear one another’s burdens, but that doesn’t necessarily include washing their feet. But, again, if you want to wash feet, I will support you all the way. I might even be drawn in to washing a few feet myself, but only because I think it’s a good thing to do.

No comments: