Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Christian Music

       There have been some things that I have heard and/or read lately that I find a little disturbing:  I read somewhere recently that "Christian Music" should be done away with, at least, as a label.  One of the justifications for this position was that Kierkegaard said, "To label me is to negate me."  (Was that Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patton?)  Using that logic, Christian music is, therefore, negated by rite of the fact that it has been labeled.  Of course, using that logic, I can label Kierkegaard as a philosopher, and thereby negate him.  To be honest, I think that Kierkegaard was referring to individuals, rather than styles of music.  People are very complex, and to cubbyhole a particular individual with a label that describes only what one observes in a first impression certainly ignores most of that person's character--and even most of what makes them a unique individual.  On the other hand, is classical music negated by being labeled classical music? 
       The same treatise held that all music is inspired by God, and therefore, there is no need for a particular category, "Christian Music."  I am reminded of an episode (is episode really the right word for a sketch comedy show?  'Episode' implies one story of a continuing story line...) of Mad TV where Halle Berry plays a rap artist being honored at an awards ceremony for a song, the title of which could not be mentioned on TV, due to FCC guidelines.  Upon taking the microphone, she immediately began thanking God for being her inspiration, and another actor, whom I presume was intended to resemble Morgan Freeman, appeared and stated emphatically that He had nothing to do with the writing of that song.  My point is you don't have to look very hard to find a song (or songs) that clearly were not inspired by God (and you don't have to look specifically at Rap music, either--the Rolling Stones once did a song called, "Requiem for the Devil").
       Another argument that was made was that Christian music is largely mediocre.  I will admit that there is an awful lot of mediocre music in the Christian music genre.  There is even some that one would have to be very generous to even call it mediocre.  Some of it, however, is very good.  I think that, to some extent, referring to Christian music as mediocre is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  A lot of Christian people accept mediocrity, as long as they feel that the music, at least in some way, glorifies God.  Of course, some people set that bar pretty low, as well (more about that later).  The music industry seems to treat Christian music as the equivalent of minor league baseball.  I understand that, a few years ago, one well-known secular artist heard a Christian singer sing, and asked, "Why are you singing Christian music? You're talented enough that you could sign with a major label..."  The question would bother me less, except that he talked to his agent and his producer, and got her signed to a contract with a secular record label.  From what I understand, she's making more money now, but she doesn't sing anything like the sort of music that she used to sing.  I know of another Christian singer that was writing her own praises to God, and had a recording contract, but someone who recognized her talent as a singer (but also her drawbacks as a songwriter), talked her into singing some secular music written by someone else.  She is better known (even in the Christian community) as a secular singer than she ever was a Christian singer.
       I have had people want to share with me their newest favorite Christian song, but, then when I asked them to explain how the song's lyrics even qualified as "Christian music," they were at a loss.  They couldn't understand why I would even ask the question.  The singer (or group) is a well-known Christian artist, they would protest.  I understand that, but what about the song even makes it religious?  Well, at least there isn't anything wrong with it.  I didn't say that there was, I'm just not convinced that there's anything wrong with it.
       The bottom line is this:  There is some music that is intended to glorify God, or used to praise God, from a uniquely Christian perspective.  I think it's pure foolishness to suggest (and I don't seriously think that it's detractor seriously intend to suggest) that we should simply do away with that particular type of music.  Could we call it something else?  I suppose, but a rose by any other name...  or, to put it another way, calling a skunk something else wouldn't make it stink any less.  I would like to suggest that, we as Christians, and consumers of Christian music, make an attempt to hold Christian music artists to a higher standard.  Don't buy music that is poorly written or sung out of key just because you like that particular artist, or that particular style of music. 

No comments: