Thursday, November 08, 2007

What Do You Believe?

I have a dimple on my chin, and that sometimes makes it difficult to shave. Most of my face is not a problem, but it's hard to get to the little hairs in my dimple. Some days, I manage to angle the blade just right and trim those bad boys right off, other days, I just can't seem to get them. Several years ago, I had one of those days, and it must have been a particularly bad day (or maybe one of several such days in a row) because I had a number of people comment on it. Towards the end of the day, a friend of mine told me that I had 'dirt' in my dimple. Taking a quick moment to decide whether it was actually worth explaining to him that they were whiskers, and deciding that it was not, I thanked him for pointing it out and started to walk away. He stopped me, and insisted that he was serious. Okay, no problem, thanks, and I started to walk away again. We cycled through this several times, and each time he got louder, and more upset. Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "I'm not arguing with you, why are you arguing with me?" Finally someone else pulled him aside and explained it to him. If I had realized this conversation was going to take so long, I would have explained it to him in the first place.
After awhile, I came to the conclusion that he was arguing with me because the bathroom was in the opposite direction from the direction I kept trying to go each time I thought our conversation was over. Obviously, if I had believed him, I would have gone to the bathroom and washed my face. Of course, I realized that, although he was being honest with me, he really didn't understand the situation. He, meanwhile, is judging my belief by my actions rather than my words. Clearly I didn't believe him, and he didn't understand why not.
I said all of that to say this: Jesus said, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" In today's society, I think that it's because a lot of people don't understand what the word 'lord' means. A lord is someone that is placed over you, one that you must obey. A lot of people call Jesus, Lord, who really just want Him to be their savior. News flash: He won't be your savior, unless you let Him be your Lord, also. If you believe that Jesus is your Lord, you will at least make a good effort to do what He says (you won't always succeed, that is a given, but you have to at least try).
I realize, of course, that this goes back to the question of whether one is saved by faith or by works. It is by faith, there should be no question about that. At the same time though, if your mouth says that you believe, but your actions don't match what you say, what is it that you really believe?

1 comment:

Jason & Rebecca said...

I like your illustration for this concept. I sometimes think that churches are to blame for this disconnect between "Savior" and "Lord." We have been so careful to avoid any semblance of salvation by works that we have refused to talk about the fact that true faith in Christ will produce a changed life-one that desires to follow Him as Lord.