Tuesday, December 04, 2007

What's Your Excuse?

I'm not sure what I am going to blog about today. Maybe nothing, really. I just don't really have anything on my mind right now, but I have a few minutes with an Internet connection, and an obligation to post something. Believe it or not, there are often times when I have nothing on my mind. People who really know me, know that. It seems funny, though, there are often times when I can't get to a computer when something will strike me and I'll say to myself, "I ought to write a blog about that," but then, when I get access, I can't remember what was so important. Sometimes it's just a question of fighting through the noise.
I spent Saturday sick in bed. I felt fine Friday night, and woke up Saturday just plain miserable. I made the trip from my bedroom to the bathroom several times. made the trip into the kitchen a few times, but I couldn't eat anything. I sipped some water, at first. After awhile, I felt well enough to risk sipping some apple juice. Sunday morning, I felt enough better to eat a small breakfast. After church, I tried to eat some lunch. There was a salad, some lemon chicken, with stir-fried vegetables and rice, and then some lemon pie. I didn't really feel like eating, anyway, so I ate a few forkfuls of salad, but then they brought the entree. Hmm. Do I finish the salad, that I don't really feel like eating anyway, and let the chicken get cold? No, I started picking at the chicken. It was good, but I didn't really feel like eating it, either. I ate a few forkfuls of that, with the rice and veggies, but then they brought me the pie. Isn't it funny how it's easier to eat sweets than nutritious food? I still wasn't able to finish the pie, but a whole more of that went into my gut than anything else. Sunday night a friend from church gave me some saltine crackers. Finally, something I actually felt like eating (even more so than the pie). The thing was, I knew I needed to eat. I didn't feel like eating, but I knew my immune system couldn't fight off whatever had attacked my system without fuel to work with. At the same time, a lot of my problem was gastro-intestinal in nature, so eating the wrong thing could make things much worse.
I think sometimes we are like that spiritually. We know what we need to do, but we just don't feel like doing it. Maybe we're feeling depressed about something, or we're mad at God for some reason, but we can almost always find a reason for not doing what, deep down inside, we know we should do. My mother used to tell me that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. There are a lot of people who never do what they need to do because they always let themselves get sidetracked. They aren't bad people, they just never get anything done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete,

I hope you are feeling better.

You're in my prayers as well.

Lyn

Pete Shepherd said...

Thanks, Lyn. I am feeling better. I did go to work yesterday and today, and I've been feeling better all the time, since Sunday. I appreciate your prayers.