Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Killing Abortionists

James Kopp has just received a second life sentence for killing Dr. Barnett Slepian 9 years ago. He was already serving a life sentence for killing another abortionist. You can read about it here.
These people puzzle the snot out of me. How can you be pro-life and then be out there committing murder? Kopp claims that he didn't intend to kill Slepian, that actually Slepian was killed by a ricochet, but that several children are alive today because of Slepian's death. So, basically, I didn't mean to kill him, but I sure am glad he's dead. Is he saying that he isn't so much a murderer as just a man with really bad judgment? I was always taught that using a firearm outside of an approved shooting range was using deadly force, even if you weren't actually pointing your weapon at someone. Part of that is the range that firearms have. If you don't hit a target with a solid backing, the bullet could travel a very long way and end up who knows where, potentially killing someone other than the one you were trying to scare. Furthermore, as to his claim that several children are alive now because Slepian is dead, no, more likely, several women had to drive farther to get their abortions than if Kopp had obeyed the law.
Some people, I'm told, support Kopp and believe that he was acting on a 'calling.' CNN doesn't mention what religion Kopp claims to be, but usually people like him claim to be Christian. Does this make sense? I'm following the Prince of Peace, who taught me to turn the other cheek, and I'm out there shooting at people. My Bible says Thou shalt not kill, and, to obey every ordinance of man. I understand that some people think that they are above the law, because God's ways are higher than man's ways, but it was God who told us not to kill (can you think of any Biblical prophet that God instructed to break the commandments of God? I can't). The problem with deception is that, when you're deceived, you don't know that you're deceived, because you're deceived.
There was also a poll recently in which, supposedly, 56% of atheists responded that they felt that Christians were more dangerous that Islamic jihadists. Perhaps people like Kopp are why. Maybe they just don't understand that the jihadists consider any non-Muslim to be an infidel (heck, some of them believe that Muslims in a different sect are infidels). When I first heard that statistic, I was prepared to say that I haven't heard of any Christians flying airplanes into buildings, but, some of these nutbags are just about as bad. I think some Christian fundamentalists would like to see the practice of women wearing burkas to become widespread in this country. Let's be honest with ourselves, though, if the only way that you can maintain is if you have no temptations, then you're really not a very good Christian anyway, now are you?

No comments: