Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Staten Island Landfill

I was just reading about a new flavor of ice cream called, 'Staten Island Landfill' from a company called '5 Boroughs Ice Cream.' It's vanilla ice cream with brownie chunks, cherries, heart-shaped chocolate crunchies, and fudge. Sounds delicious to me. Almost makes me wish I lived in NYC. I understand that borough president James Molinaro is calling for a boycott of the new flavor. Of course, the proposed boycott has gotten the flavor (and the company) a whole lot more publicity. I don't live anywhere near Staten Island, but I have now heard about this ice cream, and, quite frankly, I want to try it. I can understand that the landfill isn't exactly the biggest source of pride in Staten Island (although it may very well be the biggest anything else), but, you know, if you can't laugh off stuff like that, then maybe you should see about relocating the landfill to one of the other boroughs, or outside the city entirely. Maybe even build a plasma converter.
Have you heard about these things? You can read about them here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/plasma-converter.htm
Anyway, I was also reading about Michael Moore's trip to Cuba. Apparently he took three Americans into Cuba to film a documentary about Cuban health care. He requested permission from the State Department, and received no response, and so just went. I don't know if he had a timetable as far as working with the Cuban government... To be honest, that seems likely. I have a hard time believing that he would just blatantly break US laws without some form of justification. Would the State Department have given him permission, had he waited? Hmm. The administration that was the subject of at least one of his previous films gets to decide whether or not to let him pursue this. On the other hand, even if the administration were inclined to grant his request, I'm sure that there are a lot of considerations (one of which would be his safety. Hmm. Maybe this administration would be inclined to let him go). Did he submit his request in a timely enough manner to get through just the normal bureaucratic red tape? I don't know. It's easy to see that going either way. Now Mr. Moore finds himself in the position that he may end up going to jail over this. Of course, if he does, it means that much more publicity for his film. That's definitely not what the current administration wants. I suspect that Michael Moore is more than willing to play the martyr, if it means more people watch his movie. On the other hand, though, now that said movie is available on the Internet, a lot of people will probably watch it for free. It should be interesting to see Moore's response: On the one hand, he wants people to see his movie--he wants people to be aware of the problem that he went to Cuba to document; on the other hand, he would like to make some money on the film, at least to recoup his expenditures...
It's kind of the same thing though, on the one hand, a new ice cream flavor is getting lots of publicity because somebody doesn't like the name; the other is a movie may be getting a lot of publicity because the filmmaker broke a law to film it. The difference, in my mind, at least, is that the ice cream company is right. Michael Moore clearly broke the law, but, the State Department may be wrong, also. I predict that Michael Moore will not go to jail, simply because the current administration does want him to become a 'martyr' (and maybe because they don't want to have to answer questions about why Moore never got any response from the State Department about his proposed trip). Now, I could (and probably will, someday) get into whether the law should exist. I'm not sure that it should (or that it shouldn't), but, then, if it shouldn't, does that mean that Michael Moore was engaging in civil disobedience? I don't want to think about that. That would make my head hurt.

No comments: