Friday, June 22, 2007

Movies

Well, Michael Moore's latest film is about to be released: SiCKO, about the health care industry. I haven't yet quite figured out why he needed to go to Cuba to film this, and I'm not sure that I care. I don't intend to watch it.

From what I understand (let me remind you, I've already said, I haven't seen it, so this may be way off base), this is his push for health care reform. It seems to me that if "John Q" didn't convince you that the health care system needs reform, then this won't either. I don't think it's so much a question of, does the system need improving, it's a question of which direction does it need to go. A lot of people have pushed for socialized medicine. I think that would be a mistake. Rightly or wrongly, our economic system, here in the United Sates, is built on capitalism. In some ways, it's a flawed system, but, mostly, it works. It would be nice if we had a system that worked simply because of people's love and care for their fellow man, but, realistically, we have a system that works on a principle that we can count on: Greed.

Take a minute, and let that sink in. That's really what it's all about. I work a job so that I can pay my bills and buy groceries, etc. If I didn't get paid, I wouldn't come to work. It's that simple. Some people are lucky enough to have a job doing something that they actually love doing (most of us don't), but even those people generally can't afford to work for free. I would imagine that a lot of people get attracted to the medical profession out of a sincere desire to help people, but, let's face it, for many people that desire wears off pretty fast, and then it's the money that keeps them going. Medical school isn't cheap, and a lot of doctors and nurses get pretty burned out by all the things that they have to deal with before their student loans are even paid off.

Let's consider something else: If we socialize medicine, who controls the program? Who decides what surgeries are necessary, what drugs are approved, when life-support is no longer cost-effective? Presumably our government. Think back a few years. I'm betting you don't have to think back very far to be able to think of something that our government made a total mess of. I'm not even going to give you a hint. Think about it. Now think about that same government controlling your health care. That should frighten you. I can understand that you may want to blame your favorite mess on one particular individual. That's fine. You may even feel confident that one person won't have anything to with the socialized health care system. Fair enough. What guarantee do you have that the health care system won't be overseen by someone who is no more capable than the person that you blame for the mess that you thought of? Oh, well, it will be someone from the other party. Do you really think that incompetence is the hallmark of one political party?

By the way, here is a list of other documentaries on the subject (that I also haven't seen):
"A Short Course in Brain Surgery", "Two Women", and "The Lemon" (unfortunately, I don't have links to information about those films).

No comments: