Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Stumblings

I was reading yesterday about the "echo chamber" phenomenon--wherein something in the news strikes people's imagination, and, suddenly, there's mention of it in everybody's blog. The blog that I read that in advised that one wait a couple of weeks before including any current news in one's blog, and also not reading the news until after the blog is posted.
I'm not entirely sure that I like that advice, but I certainly don't want this blog to get lost in a crowd of blogs all echoing the current news. On the other hand, it's not really like I have a whole lot of original thoughts...
I've been accused of being creative many times in my life, and I'm not sure why. I don't think that I'm particularly creative. If somebody gives me an idea, I can run with it, and sometimes make something of it, but I really don't have too many ideas on my own.
So, today's ramblings may be more like stumblings. My big news is that i am flying out tomorrow to visit family. I originally grew up about 800 miles from where I live now. I have driven the route many times, and I have flown it a few times. My parents get onto me about my driving: when I'm driving that kind of a distance, my focus is on getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. I don't want to spend the night somewhere along the way if I don't have to (and I don't). They like to take it easy, stop about halfway, find some interesting things to see along the way... I can appreciate that, but for me, this isn't a sightseeing trip. Maybe one of these days I will go sightseeing. Probably not anytime soon. In any case, gas prices being what they are, and airfare deals here and there, why spend the money on gas if you can fly for about the same or less--especially if you aren't planning on doing any sightseeing anyway?

No comments: