Tuesday, September 09, 2008

More Abundant Life

Two Bible verses from Sunday morning: John 10:10, “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” and 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
It never really occurred to me to put those two verses together before, but they go together very well. Jesus came that we might have more abundant life, because God doesn’t want us to have the spirit of fear. I have to admit that when things don’t go the way I expect them to, I can get pretty excited about it. I have learned to keep those feelings to myself, pretty much, because I know that God is in control, and I don’t want to freak other people out, even when, on the inside, I’m freaking out. All things work together for good, right?
That’s easy to say when things are going according to plan. If I know what to expect, it’s easy to take it all in stride. If something happens that catches me off-guard, then I am in trouble. I shouldn’t be, because I know that God has His plan, even if I don’t always see it.
Trust and obey, for there’s no better way… We know that old song, don’t we? How well do we live it? I mean really, when things seem to be going wrong and you don’t know what’s going to happen next, can you really just sit and trust Jesus? We should be able to. I think sometimes we’ve been let down so many times by so many different people, but He’s not like us, He will never leave us nor forsake us.

No comments: