Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Rapture

The word rapture simply means, “ecstatic joy or delight.” Interestingly enough, the English word rapture comes from the Latin word Raptus, which meant to carry off. One might wonder how an English word meaning ecstatic joy could come from a Latin word meaning to carry off; it would seem that our predecessors could imagine no greater joy than for Jesus to carry them off to Heaven.
I have been criticized for using that word as a Christian term, on the grounds that it isn’t Biblical. I have to admit that the word itself does not appear in Scripture, but the idea is pretty evident. In 1 Corinthians 15:50, Paul tells us that flesh and blood shall not inherit the Kingdom of God. Clearly, we need to change before we can enter in. In verse 51, it goes on to say that we shall all be changed, even though some will not sleep. Sleep, in this instance is that same sort of sleep that Jesus was talking about when he said that Lazarus was asleep. In other words, some people will die, and then be resurrected, but some people will still be alive when the time of judgment comes, and will not have to suffer death. In verse 52, we are told that this change will happen in the twinkling of an eye, in other words, essentially instantaneously. Verse 53 goes on to say that this is because corruption must put on incorruption, and mortality must put on immortality.
In 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, it talks again about the last trump, that Jesus will come for us, and the dead in Christ shall rise first, and those that are alive and remain shall arise to meet them in the air. After that, all of us will be with Christ for all eternity. 1 Thessalonians 5:2 reminds us that the Lord shall come as a thief in the night, referencing Matthew 24:43-44 where Jesus compares His return to a thief coming to rob; if people knew when the thief was going to come, then they would no doubt be ready. Since we don’t know when Jesus is going to return, we must always be ready.
In Matthew 24:40 Jesus prophesied that there would be two in the field, and one taken, and the other left. It’s possible that He was referring to farm workers in a natural field, but in John 4:35, He tells His disciples to start harvesting the fields, even though it was four months until the time to harvest a natural field. The passage in John is very clearly talking about working with people, winning souls. If the passage in Matthew is talking about the same thing, then Jesus is referring to two people that are out winning souls, but one is ready, and the other one is not. Of course, if that’s the case, then the two women grinding at the mill in verse 41 would have to have some spiritual significance, also, but I’m not sure what that would be (my best guess would be studying Scripture, but that’s just a guess).
By the way, a number of people have written books about what signs will precede the second coming of Christ. I am not going to mention any one in particular, but let me say this: These writings are speculative at best. I am not even going to attempt to debunk them; they may even be right. I make it a point to not concern myself with such things, because one misinterpretation could have long-lasting consequences. What if I spend my life looking for one sign before I get myself ready, and then get hit by a car before that sign occurs? Or, what if I’m mistaken about that particular sign, and it isn’t supposed to happen until after the rapture? When I get to Judgment, can I say to God, “But God, Doctor Theolophisus’ book says the rapture wasn’t supposed to happen until after the polar bears became extinct!”? Will God give me a pass because I wanted to do the right thing; I just read the wrong book? Jesus warned in Matthew 24:4, “Take heed that no man deceive you.” Don’t misunderstand me, I am not accusing anyone of intentionally trying to deceive us, but the onus is on us to ensure that we don’t allow ourselves to be led astray.

No comments: