Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Here I am again, posting to my blog ("How very interesting (yawn)"). Yeah, I know. There's something to be said for just being able to rant or vent when you need to, but, right now, I don't really feel the need. I could complain about my job, but, quite frankly, I like getting a paycheck. If you read my previous post, then you already know that I get paid fairly well for relatively little work. I like that arrangement. I also happen to like what I do, I just don't like some of the things that go on where I work. To be honest, even if I ran my own business, I still wouldn't like some of the things that would go on in my own business. Think about it: You've got a hot project that you promised the customer would be done tomorrow, unforeseen delays have prevented the completion of the project, but there is little or no money in the budget to pay your employees overtime to stay tonight and finish the project. What do you do? Either you stay the night and finish the project yourself, or you apologize profusely to the client and ask for an extension (and hope and pray that they not only grant you the extension, but continue to do business with you, AND not tell any potential clients that you missed your deadline). If your company is established and has a reputation for doing good work on time, the apology might be enough, but if your company is new and has no established reputation, guess what? you just established your rep. It takes a long time to overcome that sort of set-back. Some companies never do. One more reason why I don't run my own business.
Not that I would know what to do if I had my own business, anyway. I've tried MLM's (for the uninitiated, MLM stands for Multi-Level Marketing). That's hard to get started--it takes a lot of perseverance. Plus, there are a lot of bad MLM companies out there. Not naming any names, but one major player in the MLM field got a reputation some years ago for running a pyramid scheme. From what I understand, that wasn't even (entirely) their fault--some distributors discovered a hole in their payment plan that allowed a pyramid type scheme to be used. That flaw has been corrected, and they have changes their name, but the old name still usually comes up whenever you try to talk to somebody about MLM. Personally, I generally don't like their products anyway. Some of them are good, but most of the ones that I've tried, weren't. Anyway, I think that's enough rambling for today.

No comments: